Sandra is a well-known and featured speaker (nationally and internationally) on the topic of practical and effective strategies for helping students with ADD/ADHD and Learning Disabilities to achieve school success. She had the honor of being a keynote speaker and workshop/seminar presenter in Costa Rica, Colombia, Israel, Brazil, South Africa, China, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Philippines, Guatemala, Iceland, as well as throughout the United States and Canada.
Sandra is the author of several popular and best-selling books published by Jossey-Bass (a Wiley company) which have been translated into other languages and sold throughout the world:
- The Dyslexia Checklist: A Practical Reference for Parents & Teachers(co-authored with Judith Stern, 2010).
- The ADD/ADHD Checklist: A Practical Reference for Parents & Teachers, 2nd edition(2008)
- How to Reach & Teach Children with ADD/ADHD, 2nd edition(2005). Over 300,000 sold!
- How to Reach & Teach All Children in the Inclusive Classroom, 2nd edition (co-authored with Julie Heimburge, 2006).
- How to Reach & Teach All Children Through Balanced Literacy(co-authored with Julie Heimburge, 2007).
- The ADHD Book of Lists: A Practical Guide for Helping Children and Teens with Attention Deficit Disorders (2003).
- Alphabet Learning Center Activities Kit (co-authored with Nancy Fetzer, 2000).
Other Published Books & Resources by Sandra:
- Ready…Start…School: Nurturing & Guiding Your Child Through Preschool and Kindergarten (2001) Paramus, NJ: Prentice Hall Press.
- Section 504: Classroom Accommodations (2010) National Professional Resources, Inc. – laminated guide
- Executive Function: Practical Applications in the Classroom (2011) National Professional Resources, Inc.. – laminated guide
- ADHD & LD: Classroom Strategies At Your Fingertips (2012, revised ed.) National Professional Resources, Inc. – laminated guide
- Dyslexia: Strategies, Supports & Interventions (2010) National Professional Resources, Inc. – laminated guide
- Simply Phonics (1993). EBSCO Curriculum Materials.
Sandra also developed and presented these acclaimed educational DVDs produced by Educational Resource Specialists:
- ADHD & LD: Powerful Teaching Strategies and Accommodations with RTI (Response to Intervention)
- How to Help Your Child Succeed in School: Strategies & Guidance for Parents of Children with ADHD and/or Learning Disabilities
- Successful Classrooms: Effective Teaching Strategies for Raising Achievement in Reading and Writing (with L. Fisher & N. Fetzer)
- Successful Schools: How to Raise Achievement and Support ‘At-Risk’ Students(with L. Fisher & N. Fetzer)
- ADHD: Inclusive Instruction & Collaborative Practices
Sandra received her B.A. and M.A. degrees from the University of Illinois (in general and special education). For almost 40 years she has specialized in how to help students with ADHD and Learning Disabilities, with 23 of those years teaching in public schools. Sandra was a mentor teacher and award-winning special educator (including California Resource Specialist of the Year), retired now from San Diego Unified School District.
For the past 15 years Sandra has been an educational consultant. She lives in San Diego, California, but works with districts around the country. From 1999-2008, Sandra worked as a consultant for the New York City Board of Education to implement instructional and behavioral strategies, supports and interventions for at-risk students, and to train educators in these best practices.
Sandra trains thousands of educators every year and is a popular presenter and keynote speaker for school districts, organizations, and at national/international conferences. Sandra is also on the faculty of Seattle Pacific University and California State University East Bay, where she teaches extended and continuing education courses for teachers/educators via distance learning and online. Sandra has been the guest on several radio shows and media interviews on how to help kids with ADHD and LD, as well as the National Resource Center on AD/HD & CHADD’s Ask the Expert online chat three times.
Sandra was on the faculty of the National Initiative for Children’s Healthcare Quality (NICHQ) – their project on ADHD, and has been involved (past and currently) in other national initiatives for improving the care of children with ADHD.
Sandra has been listed for several years in Who’s Who in American Women, and Who’s Who in American Education. She served three years on the National Professional Advisory Board of CHADD (Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders), and is a contributing author to CHADD Educator’s Manual on AD/HD, ADDitude magazine, and numerous other publications. Her resources are widely used to train educators, parents, psychologists, and other school support personnel throughout the world in best practices for reaching and teaching students with LD, ADHD, and others with learning, attention, and behavioral challenges.